This week, World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) celebrates its 20th anniversary. Commemorated in more than 170 countries, WBW promotes the significant benefits of breastfeeding and recognizes the important work of breastfeeding advocates and educators across the world. This year's theme is "Understanding the Past - Planning the Future: Celebrating 10 years of WHO/UNICEF's Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding."
World Breastfeeding Week 2012 Objectives
- To take stock of lessons learned and achievements from the past 20 years on infant and young child feeding (IYCF)
- To assess the status of implementation of the Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding (Global Strategy) globally.
- To celebrate successes and achievements nationally, regionally, and globally and showcase national work at the global level.
- To call for action to bridge the remaining gaps in policy and programs on breastfeeding and IYCF.
- To draw public attention to the state of policy and programs on breastfeeding and IYCF.
What are you doing to celebrate World Breastfeeding Week?